- Taking Turmeric? It’s Not Doing Squat Unless You Are Taking Other Things Too
- Healthy Vegan Meals That Cost Less Than $2 Video
- Understanding Addiction: How Does It Happen? Infographic
- Does Nutrition Really Affect Your Stress Levels?
- Are Vitamin D Supplements Effective For Diabetes, Weight Loss, And Blood Pressure? Video
- Are You Aware Of These Food Industry Lies? Infographic
- Sugar: Is It As Addictive As Drugs? Video
7 Unusual Super Foods Smoothies that can Improve Your Life
Ah, smoothies! Everyone loves those oh so refreshing drinks that are quick to make and keep our bodies healthy and happy. Smoothies have been riding the popularity train for quite some time now, but even so, it’s too easy to fall into a rut and miss out a world of interesting flavors, as well as foods that are powerhouses of nutrition.
If you just want a change of taste, want to guard yourself against cancer (who doesn’t?), looking to give your energy a little boost, or you are interested in taming inflammation in the body, we have seven smoothie recipes that are sure to turn your little world upside down.
1. Spicy Green Super Food Smoothie
- ½ teaspoon of fresh, organic, oregano leaves
- One small handful of arugula
- 2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk or diluted coconut cream
- Stevia to taste
Oregano is for a lot more than Italian food! It’s anti-parasitic, antifungal, antibacterial, as well as a great antioxidant! That’s a whole lot of goodness for one little herb! Arugula will add a peppery little taste while adding iron and vitamins A, C, and K. It’s also great at taming those free radicals in the body that cause aging while protecting you from cancer. Coconut milk is a great antibacterial and antifungal agent and stevia, well, that adds a touch of sweetness without encouraging fungal infections such as candida.
2. Carrot Juice Exchange
For a real taste treat, as well as for a subtle sweet taste, try swapping the orange juice or whatever fruit juice you might be using, for carrot juice. Carrots are loaded with beta carotene, a substance that our bodies will convert to vitamin A, an important vitamin for skin and eye health. If you generally use orange juice in your smoothies, using carrot juice instead will give you a lot more nutrition and a lot less sugar. Be sure you juice your own carrots or look for 100 percent pure organic carrot juice at your local health food store.
3. Anti-inflammatory Smoothie
- 1 teaspoon of pure turmeric ( not curry powder)
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of freshly grated organic ginger
- 2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk, or diluted coconut cream
- Raw, organic honey to taste
Both ginger and turmeric have substantial anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin, the active ingredient found in turmeric, supports a healthy liver function (read more about benefits of curcumin). Black pepper adds more than the just flavor. Pepper has an active ingredient called piperine, which helps to improve the bioavailability of the turmeric. Coconut milk has a medium chain fatty acid that reduces an inflammatory response in the body.
4. Honey Oatmeal Smoothie
- ¼ cup of old-fashioned rolled oats ( not the quick cook type)
- ½ cup of plain, organic, low fat yogurt
- 1 medium organic banana
- ½ cup of coconut milk or diluted coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons of raw, organic honey (read how to use honey instead of antibiotics)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Oatmeal is a great source of fiber and manganese, which is a vital mineral for building healthy bones. If the smoothie seems too thin, add another handful of oatmeal. If the texture of the oatmeal is a little too much for you, try grinding into a powder first with your food processor, or you could even use your pepper grinder.
5. Raspberry Avocado Smoothie
- 1 organic avocado, pitted and peeled
- ¾ cup of organic orange juice
- ¾ cup of organic raspberry juice
- ½ cup of organic frozen raspberries (don’t let them thaw!)
Don’t knock this until you try it! The creamy goodness of avocado’s can thicken otherwise too thin smoothies while adding those important healthy fats and fiber. You could also try to replace the orange juice with coconut milk. If the raspberries are a bit tart for your taste, add a touch of raw honey.
6. Magic Energy Elixir Smoothie
- 1 Tablespoon of bee pollen
- 2 cups of almond or hemp milk
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- ½ cup of frozen organic acai berries
- Raw, organic honey to taste
Bee pollen is one of the best super foods you can consume if you are looking to gain more energy; it’s overflowing with protein and B vitamins. Chia seeds are also a great source of protein and have a reputation for improving physical stamina. Acai berries, which come from the Amazon, are not only an energy improving fruit, but it can improve cardiovascular health, help with your weight loss efforts, and even prevents cancer.
7. The Immune Boosting Smoothie
- ¼ teaspoon powdered camu camu berry
- 2 cups of unsweetened kefir
- 1 ounce extract of elderberry
- ½ cup of frozen, organic aronia berries
- Stevia to taste
If you haven’t heard of camu camu berries, you are missing out! These berries are one of the most bioavailable sources of vitamin C in the world! These little fruits give your immune system a major boost! Also, the probiotics in kefir help your immune system give you an added edge against viruses that cause colds and flus. Aronia berries are a very potent source of antibacterial and antiviral compounds. All these berries are natural agents against cancer of the colon, lungs, ovaries, bladder, and skin. Elderberries are also a great immune system stimulator and a long used remedy to shorten the duration of the flu.
A little warning about elderberry: don’t consume more than one ounce per day and never use it for more than five consecutive days. Pregnant women and those with autoimmune system problems should also not consume elderberry.
Remember to always choose organic for the best benefits, nutrition, and for your overall safety as well! Lately there has been an increase in coconut cream cans that are BPA free. Always look for these options to avoid the hormone disrupter BPA.