- Don’t Let Food Labels Fool You Infographic
- 4 Surefire Steps To Defeat Seasonal Allergies Video
- 10 Smoothie Recipes To Keep You Healthy And Energized Infographic
- A Quick And Easy Smoothie For Beauty, Energy And Weight Loss Video
- How To Stop Being A Soda Addict Infographic
- Top Tips To Skyrocket Your Energy Throughout The Day Infographic
- Can Omega-3 Fats Really Speed Up Recovery After A Heart Attack?
Make Your Own Super Healing Cold And Flu Tonics: 3 Fantastic Recipes You Will Love
The holidays are nearly over. You know what is coming next, right? Cold and flu season.
With holiday parties, get togethers, holiday shopping, celebrations, office parties, school plays, too many late nights, and too many holiday treats, you or someone you love is going to get a nasty cold or the flu.
If you were smart, you have been spending the last two months or so eating foods that will build your immune system. However, despite our best efforts, we sometimes snag some ugly bug, and he decides to make our nasal passages his home for the next week or two.
When this happens, there isn’t much you can do except gobble down some turkey soup (because you probably still have leftovers from Thanksgiving, right?), drink lots of herbal tea, and make yourself a batch of homemade cold and flu tonic to help your body heal as quickly as possible.
We have put together three of the best cold and flu tonics that you can make at home. One of them does require some advance preparation, but the great thing about our third recipe is that, once it is ready, you can start consuming it immediately. It will boost your immune system and help keep you from getting the flu or a cold in the first place.
The other recipes can be put together in a matter of minutes, so if you wake up with that stuffy head, scratchy throat, and cough, you can make these recipes while you are calling in sick and get back to bed.
A word of warning here: Two of these recipes are quite spicy or hot and might not be appropriate for children under 10. When using ingredients like horseradish, always err on the side of caution, and use less instead of too much. Also, you might want to wear gloves and wash your hands immediately after making this, as rubbing your eye or nose after touching garlic or horseradish will find you muttering some not-so-nice words pretty quickly.
Are you ready? Keep reading and discover three of the best cold and flu tonics ever!
1. Super Healing Cold and Flu Tonic
- Half of an organic yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves of organic garlic, chopped
- 2 red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon of fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 large organic lemon, juiced (including peel)
- Apple cider vinegar (organic is best, but if all you have is the regular kind, that’s okay)
Using a Mason jar, add the onion, garlic, chili peppers (yes, the seeds too), and ginger. Stir a couple times using a wooden spoon. Add the lemon juice and give it another stir. Fill the Mason jar with apple cider vinegar, leaving about half an inch of room from the top. Cover tightly and shake for a minute. You can start consuming this right away if you need to or allow it to sit overnight if you can. Take one teaspoon of this as often as you like. For most people, every three or four hours is good, but if you start feeling that scratchy throat again after two hours, feel free to take another dose. If you use this for more than one day, give the jar another shake or two to keep everything well mixed. This cold and flu tonic does not have to be refrigerated and can last about three weeks left on the kitchen counter. You can also refrigerate it, however, if you find it easier to consume cold.
Continue to Page 2