- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
10 Tips And Exercises To Help Get Rid Of Turkey Neck
Everyone wants to look their best — younger, with a beautiful complexion and profile. Does anything scream “old” louder than having a double chin or that wiggly turkey neck?
You aren’t necessarily stuck with that double chin. Although spot reduction to remove fat is almost impossible, there are some ways to help tighten up the neck and chin area, as well as some dietary changes you can make that can help to reduce the appearance of what is commonly referred to as turkey neck.
Keep reading: We have some of the best tips and a few exercises to improve your profile in a matter of weeks. Say goodbye to the old double chin for good!
1. Treat Food Intolerances
Some people have allergies to certain foods while others simply have food intolerances. A sensitivity to gluten or IBS can lead to a fuller looking face through bloating. Be certain that you have dealt with any and all food intolerances before beginning.
2. Stay Well-Hydrated
To stop bloat, be sure that you look out after your water intake. Drink at least eight glasses of water each day to ensure that you do not develop a bloated face or neck. You should also limit your salt intake to ensure that you are not holding on to excess water.
3. Enjoy A Healthy Lifestyle
Eating a more natural diet, full of organic fruits and vegetables, healthy fats and whole grains, can help you to reduce the amount of fat that is stored in the face and neck area. Reduce your consumption of processed foods, fast foods, and sugar.
Continue to Page 2
4. Lose Weight
If you have a double chin, chances are that you are overweight. As much as many of us wish it were true, you can’t target just one area of your body for weight loss unless you submit to liposuction. You need to lose weight from your entire body. The good news here is that one of the first places people lose weight is in their face and neck. Aim to lose five to 10 percent of your body weight over a 90-day period and you should see results within six weeks.
5. Perform Aerobic Exercises
One way to burn fat from your entire body is to get at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise five days each week. This will increase your metabolism and improve your chances of losing neck fat as well as fat in the face area.
6. Avoid Trans-Fats
This dangerous type of fat offers you no real nutritional value, only unhealthy calories, and it really packs on the pounds. Avoid prepackaged foods, processed foods, frozen foods (even so-called diet foods) and fast foods. These are the biggest culprits when it comes to trans-fats.
7. Focus On Lean Protein
Red meat, such as beef, tends to contain a great deal more fat than fish or chicken. Avoid eating unhealthy sources of fat such as red meat. You should focus on eating more lean meats and other sources of healthy fats such as avocados and coconut oil.
8. Eat Complex Carbs
Refined carbs, such as white flour, offer very little in the way of nutrition but they do offer spikes in your blood sugar, which often lead to excess pounds. Focus more on eating whole grain and complex carbs, such as potatoes, that slow the digestive process and make you feel full for longer periods of time.
9. Cheek Exercises
There are exercises you can do to strengthen and tone the muscles under the skin, offering you a bit of support. One exercise that you can do for your cheeks is to put your thumbs on the back part of the fleshy part of the cheeks, just under the cheekbones. Using your fingertips, grab onto as much flesh as possible. Now, pull the flesh away from your face and use your cheek muscles to pull it back into place. Imagine that you are crushing a piece of fruit using just your cheeks. Repeat 20 times each day.
Continue to Page 3
10. Chin and Neck Exercises
Again, although you can’t spot exercise and remove fat, you can strengthen and tone the muscles that support the skin. There are a few neck exercises you can do that will help to tone up the soft skin under the chin and neck.
- Stretch your neck by lifting your head away from your chest. Stretch it as far back as possible, looking at the ceiling. Leave the mouth open just slightly so that you feel these neck muscles, called the platysma, stretch and tighten. Hold for a count of 10, and then return to a normal position. Repeat at least 10 times each day.
- Stand with your feet about shoulder width apart. Hold your head high, your knees slightly bent. Hold a dumbbell (two pounds is all you need) in each hand. Allow your arms to hand loosely. Using only your shoulders, lift the dumbbells by “shrugging” your shoulders. Your arms should remain straight the entire time. Use only your neck and shoulder muscles to do this. You will feel this one very quickly! Hold for a count of two, and then return to the neutral position. Repeat 12 times.
- Lie on your back on a weight bench or an armless sofa so that your head hangs off the edge. Keep your arms at your sides. Let your head hang down, then lift it up, as if you were trying to look at the ceiling. Don’t over stretch it; just lift it up enough that you feel the back of your neck working and your neck muscle stretching. Hold your head up for a count of 10, and then lower it. Repeat for 10 reps.
- You can sit in a chair or stand up for this exercise. No matter which position you prefer, keep your spine straight, your head in the middle of your shoulders, and don’t slouch forward. Roll your chin to one shoulder, hold for a count of two, then roll your chin to the center of your chest and hold for a count of two, then roll to your other shoulder and hold for a count of two. Imagine that you are trying to touch your chin to your shoulder. Work slowly to avoid straining your neck. Repeat 10 times.
- Sit on a chair and maintain good posture. Look at the ceiling with your mouth closed, then imagine that you are chewing gum. Continue for 30 seconds. Return to start and rest for 10 seconds, then repeat three more times for a total of four reps.
- Always be cautious when you are exercising your neck. A strained neck muscle is very painful. Your neck muscles are very sensitive, which can make them difficult to train and strengthen, so be realistic and take your time.
– Chew gum; this works the facial and jaw muscles
– Sit up straight and don’t slouch. Slouching accentuates the fat in your neck
– Use a posture correcting chair if necessary
– Be patient. Do not expect to lose all your face and neck fat in a week
– Be kind to yourself; no one is perfect