- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Why Do Mosquitos Bite You?
4. Drinking Beer
Believe it or not, a 2002 study found that participants were more likely to be bitten after drinking one 12-ounce can of beer than before. It is not entirely clear why there was a correlation between beer drinking and becoming a mosquito magnet, but the scientists think it may have been due to a slight increase in skin temperature and alcohol concentration in sweat which the mosquitoes may have picked up on.
One study in Africa revealed that pregnant women are quite appealing to mosquitoes. This could be due to the fact that pregnant women tend to exhale greater volumes of carbon dioxide than non-pregnant women. Mosquitos are attracted to the scent of CO2 and women carrying a child in the womb also have a slightly higher skin temperature. Unless you are living in a malaria zone, this is probably not a cause for concern if you are pregnant, but you may want to take some extra precautions since no one likes being bitten by mosquitoes anyway.
Well there you have it. As you can see, some of these factors are inside your control, while others are not. Do what you can to reduce your risk of being bitten and let these little pests choose someone else as their next meal.