- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Home Remedies to Prevent and Remove Kidney Stones
If you have ever passed a kidney stone, or if you have known someone who was, you know the intense pain they cause. More than 12 percent of men and 7 percent of women will develop kidney stones at some time in their lives. Unfortunately, if you have them once, statistics say you have an 80 percent chance of developing them again.
For some strange reason, the pain of kidney stones has a tendency to open people’s minds to trying a natural diet and alternative medicines.
Although genetics are sometimes the reason for kidney stones, most times it’s nothing more than your diet. Questionable, cheap supplements, salt, tap water, and an acidic diet can all lead to kidney stones.
Things to avoid
Your diet is crucial to the formation of kidney stones. Avoid excessive salt, especially using table salt, sugar, and flour. Sodas and processed foods are also things you should avoid.
If you are a coffee drinker, you should consider changing to tea (Find out coffee alternatives). Studies show that drinking green or black tea can reduce the chance of developing kidney stones. Avoid poor quality supplements and protein powders. See more foods to avoid with kidney disease.
Foods and drinks to prevent or eliminate kidney stones
- Drink a mix of cranberry juice, stevia lemonade, and water. For every 100 pounds of body weight, drink a half gallon of this mixture to help dissolve kidney stones and flush them out. This is a short term solution for an immediate problem, so only drink this for 2 weeks or until the stone is passed.
- Drink herbal teas. Teas that are known for helping to stop crystals from forming into stones are hydrangea root, nettle, gravel root, horsetail, corn silk, goldenrod, marshmallow root, and uva-ursi. Read also about 9 herbs to improve kidney health and stop stones.
- Eating carrots and other veggies with vitamin A is vital for healthy kidneys. Just one carrot can give you two times you daily requirement for vitamin A. Other sources of vitamin A are broccoli, winter squash, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes.
- This seems like a contradiction as some kidney stones are made from calcium but when you don’t get enough calcium; your body produces more oxalates, which also form stones. Be sure you get at least 1,000 to 1,200 mg of calcium every day.
- The B vitamins, especially vitamin B6, are well known for their ability to prevent stones. Just three ounces of chicken per day will give you one third of your daily requirements.
- Lots and lots of water is a great way to keep stones from forming. If you are peeing out all the crystals, stones can’t form.
Kidney stones can be as small as a pea or as large as a walnut and they can cause some serious pain. Following some of the tips above can keep your kidneys clean and clear for a lifetime.