- Evening Habits That Are Ruining Your Sleep Video
- How Do You Treat A Bee Sting Naturally? Video
- 4 DIY Exfoliating Body Scrubs You Make At Home Video
- 3 Awesome Salad Recipes You Need To Try This Summer Video
- Simple Tips For Taking Better Care Of Your Hands Infographic
- Fascinating Facts About Mushrooms And Their Health Benefits Video
- Make Chemicals-Free Cleaning Supplies Using Essential Oils Infographic
Can This One Supplement Ease the Pain of Osteoarthritis?
Millions of Americans suffer from some type of arthritis, and the pain it brings, due to the breakdown of cartilage that cushions our bones. Think of cartilage as a pillow, cushioning the space where your bones meet. When cartilage breaks down, the bones grind against one another, causing pain. There is currently no cure, and doctors only treat the symptoms by giving you anti-inflammatories and pain medication. Used for long periods of time, pain killers become addictive and can damage the stomach.
The good news here is that several researchers from Australia and Tasmania have done studies which show that small doses of a natural supplement can help ease the symptoms and pain of arthritis.
What magic supplement is this? Fish oil.
Researcher’s state that their studies show that the omega-3’s found in fish oil not only prevents the disease but that it can actually stop the progression of arthritis. Studies being done currently in the US show that the compounds in omega-3, called resolvins and protectins, can reduce inflammation to such a low level that it stops doing damage to the tissues in the body. Several notable studies all show remarkable evidence that these fatty acids are great at easing the pain of arthritis. Although there have been multiple studies done, the three well documented examples are as follows:
- In 2005 the American Journal of Gastroenterology printed a study that showed that omega-3 fatty acids reduced symptoms in both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis sufferers.
- Advances in Therapy published a study that subjects with moderate to severe symptoms of arthritis in the knees or hips were given 200mg of omega-3 and 1500mg of glucosamine sulfate. This combination gave all subjects tremendous improvements in both mobility as well as the reduction of pain compared to those who received only glucosamine.
- The American College of Nutrition published a study in 2007 that showed that taking 300gm of krill oil daily significantly reduced inflammation, stiffness, and pain after only 7 days.
In a perfect world, everyone should be able to get plenty of omega-3 from their diet to protect them from heart disease as well as arthritis. However, the typical American diet is far from perfect. You can eat cold water oil fish, such as sardines, but eating enough of these types of fish can prove to be a hazard in itself due to pollution and contamination concerns (read more about 10 contaminated fish you shouldn’t be eating). Taking fish oil supplements are therefore the most logical way to get your daily requirements met safely.
Continue to Page 2