- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sweet Juicy Limes
5. Anti-Cancer Compounds
Limonoids are a compound that is thought to have strong anti-carcinogenic effects. This compound is believed to prevent breast, lung, skin, mouth, stomach, and other types of cancer. In one study, published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, stated that limonin was proven to cause the death of cancer cells. Limes are not only high in limonoids, but also in antioxidants that reduce the risk of cancer by killing free radicals before they cause damage to your DNA and your cells. It’s interesting to note that one compound in limes, limonin glucoside, which your body can easily digest, attaches itself to sugar molecules and actually neutralizes the negative effects of sugar. It also lasts longer in the body than the phenols in dark chocolate and green tea. Limes last up to 24 hours in the body, green tea and dark chocolate? Only four to six hours. Makes you want to mix up a glass of limeade right now, doesn’t it?
6. Natural Anti-Inflammatory
The phytonutrient compounds, along with the vitamin C, that limes contain have a natural anti-inflammatory effect on the body. Limes can lower the risk of conditions that are linked to chronic inflammation such as a heart disease, asthma, and arthritis.
7. Heart Healthy
Those yummy antioxidants, such as vitamin C, in limes are associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease as well as a reduced risk of heart attacks.
8. Supports Vision Health
Sufficient levels of vitamin C are vital to proper eye function. In fact, a deficiency in vitamin C can lead to cataracts and other types of eye problems. Eating plenty of citrus fruits, including limes, and lime juice, is one easy way to maintain the health of your eyesight.
Continue to Page 3