- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Why You Should Give Egg Face Masks A Try
Natural based products are all the rage these days, with companies constantly seeking to promote the natural ingredients in their newest releases, such as coconut oil, silk extracts, and nut butters among a plethora of others. But why fork out some serious dough on products with mere ‘extracts’ of natural substances when you could make your own homemade products for a fraction of the price? Introducing, egg face masks! Yep, you read that correctly. The humble egg is an amazing food substance for the skin, and for a number of reasons:
- They are a source of essential amino acids, which are used to generate new proteins within your skin cells. These include collagen and elastin which are especially good for promoting younger, firmer looking skin.
- They are full of vitamin A, the key nutrient for new cell development and with brand new cells comes fresher, glowing skin.
- Eggs contain antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin which work to seriously boost your skin’s UV defences and so reducing fine lines, wrinkles and sunspots cause by sun damage
- The yolk, which is the nutritional powerhouse of the egg, is full of lipids, fatty acids which are amazing for retaining moisture in the skin and in the hair. Boom!
Given the huge protein and antioxidant content, egg mask facials are best for those among us who are concerned about the effects of aging. Products that slow down these effects are often very expensive and they don’t necessarily even produce noticeable results. But even consuming eggs as part of a varied diet is a sure-fire way to improve the firmness, softness and hydration of the skin and many of the masks are great for other skin goals, too!
Egg face masks are not only super cheap to create but also easy and you can be sure that they do not contain any nasty chemicals whose names you can’t even pronounce! Next is a list of our top favorite eggy face mask recipes and their ingredients as well as their particular benefits.
Calming face mask
- 1 egg white
- Juice of ½ a lemon
Yep, this first one is that simple in terms of ingredients! This mask is perfect for those suffering with greasy, oily skin prone to outbreaks that just won’t seem to clear up. The lemon has potent antibacterial properties and is a natural source of vitamin C, which nourishes skin cells. Not only that but it brightens and exfoliates skin – exactly what you need if you’ve got this skin type!
Take only the white of the egg and beat it until fluffy. Add the lemon juice then apply the mask to the skin, leaving on for 30 mins (avoid eye and mouth areas as always!). Then, gently rinse with warm water, slather on your favorite moisturizer and voila!
Hydrating face mask
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil
This egg facial mask is sure to deeply nourish and hydrate naturally dry skin, or perhaps skin dried out by the sun or weather. First, whisk the egg white until fluffy. Then, add the coconut oil and lemon juice. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and apply to the skin (a good applicator is a cosmetic brush for foundation or similar) in a thin layer. Allow to dry for 15 minutes or so for your skin to soak up all the moisture and goodness. Finally, wash off with warm water. If used a couple of times a week, this mask will noticeably tone, firm and moisturize your skin, with immediate noticeable results from the first time.
Continue to Page 2
Brightening face mask
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of organic turmeric powder
This mask is truly a nutrient powerhouse with protein and lipids from the egg, vitamin C from the orange juice and a ton of anti-inflammatories from the turmeric powder. First, whisk the egg white until fluffy. Then, add the orange juice and turmeric powder and whisk again until everything is mixed together (the mask will be bright orange but don’t worry, it’s just the turmeric!). Apply a thin layer over the entire face and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes. Lastly, rinse off with warm water and apply a light moisturizer to lock in all those nutrients. After a few weeks of regular use this mask will give you lighter and brighter skin!
Face mask for wrinkles and fine lines
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of castor oil
- 1 teaspoon of fresh aloe vera gel
This recipe sounds pretty fresh, right? Well, it’s perfect for reducing the appearance of fine lines on the face, especially those pesky crow’s feet around the eyes. First, put all the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until well mixed in, using a handheld blender if you have one. Apply to the skin and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes. Then, wash off with warm water and gently pat dry with a soft towel. The collagen in the eggs combined with the nourishing properties of the castor oil and the vitamin E from the aloe vera make for a truly potent anti-aging remedy.
Continue to Page 3
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt (unflavoured) with active cultures
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of oatmeal flour
Time to get down to business. This mask is a seriously amazing exfoliating experience sure to buff away all those dull, dead skin cells! Firstly, whisk your egg into that fluffy white texture, then add all the other ingredients, mixing as you go, until you have a creamy white liquid. Spread the mask evenly to your face, steering clear of the eye and mouth areas. Leave the mask on for 15 mins then rinse off with cold water and pat your skin dry. This mask is a true all-rounder: exfoliating, nourishing, soothing and smoothing!
So, we bet you never knew that eggs weren’t just your favourite breakfast food! Try out any one of these masks and discover the true benefits that this wonder ingredient can have on your skin, no matter its type. Happy mixing!