- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Is Your Sunscreen Causing More Cancer Than The Sun?
You have been warned for years about the damage that the rays of the sun can do to you. You are doing everything you can to avoid the chances of contracting cancer from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. When you slather on the highest number of protection listed on you sunscreen you breathe a sigh of relief that you are perfectly safe now and no mean old rays can get you now…or can they?
Is Your Sunscreen Safe?
Has it ever crossed your mind that the sunscreen you are using could be doing more damage to your skin that the actual sun? Scientists have long known that whatever you put on your skin is quickly absorbed by your body. Some of the best-known sunscreens on the market are brimming with unsafe chemicals such as triclosan, oxybenzone, parabens, and phthalate, to name a few.
As we try to keep our children and ourselves safe from developing cancer from the sun, we are faced with the major companies telling us that their sunscreens will protect you and the scientists who tell us that these products are made up of toxic ingredients that can do more damage than good.
What Exactly Can These Ingredients Do?
These are not ingredients that are going to cause you to develop a rash on your skin or anything minor, these chemicals can cause you severe harm.
- Oxybenzone. When this ingredient enters your bloodstream it can really mess with your hormones if you are a woman. Some older women were found to have developed endometriosis while pregnant women found their baby daughters were born with much lower birth rates. Another study by the Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology that is located at the University of Zurich found that oxybenzone copies the results of having estrogen in your body and it actually can cause cancer cells to grow.
- Fragrances. Many of the ingredients that are listed in sunscreens under the fragrance title include harmful ingredients such as synthetic musk, parabens, and phthalates. This would be especially bothersome to anyone who is allergic to specific fragrances.
- Retinyl Palmitate. This additive is also known as being a type of vitamin A. It is known to cause the skin to create tumors and lesions as a result of being exposed to the sun. When used in sunscreen with the skin being exposed to the sun, this ingredient can cause cancer cells to develop and produce cancerous cells.
Continue to Page 2
What Should You Use Instead of Sunscreen?
Despite some of the questionable chemicals that are included in some sunscreens, there are some products that are made without the toxic chemicals. Check out a health food store that sells more natural products and ask a salesperson what kind of natural sunscreens they sell. Look for some that have titanium minerals and zinc.
The safest way to enjoy the outdoors is to go outside, wear protective clothing (long sleeved shirts, hats) and stay in the shade. When you are outdoors and wearing sunscreen, you will not be able to take in any natural vitamin D from the sun. With so many people protecting themselves from the sun when they are outside, more and more people are suffering from a vitamin D deficiency. Having too low of this vitamin in your system can result in problems with your autoimmune system, heart problems, and skin cancer.
There are some natural oils that can also protect you when you are outdoors in the sun. Coconut oil is an excellent natural sunscreen as is Shea butter, jojoba, and eucalyptus oils. Zinc oxide is also effective in keeping the dangerous sun rays away from your body.
Continue to Page 3
How to Make Your Own Sunscreen Lotion
It’s also easy to put together your own natural sunscreen to protect yourself from too many dangerous rays. Just mix together 1/4 cup each of coconut oil, vitamin D, Shea butter or beeswax, and 1/2 cup of almond oil. If you want to add a fresh scent choose a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix everything together in a small pot and heat until completely blended. Put the mixture in small jars and keep them is a cool place.
How Much Sun is Enough?
In order to keep your body exposed to enough sunlight to keep your vitamin D levels intact, you should get out at least three times each week. If you have light skin you should stay out from 15 to 20 minutes each day; medium skin – 25 to 30 minutes each day; and dark skinned people can stay out from 40 to 45 minutes each day. You can always put on some aloe vera lotion, green tea extract or coconut in order to keep your pain levels low.
What’s on the Horizon?
One of the newest products that have been successful at protecting people against cancer from the sun’s rays is called Astaxanthin. It comes from the sea and is made up of marine algae. Not only can it safely protect against sun damage but it prevents your body from aging as well. You can look for this supplement in health food stores or take it in naturally by eating sockeye salmon that can be found wild in the Pacific ocean.