- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
This One Vitamin is Crucial for Your Heart
Another study has shown that a deficiency in vitamin D increases the risk of a poor neurological outcome after you have a heart attack. In fact this study showed that having low vitamin D levels after having a heart attack increased a person’s risk for poor brain function afterwards by as much as 7 fold!
Dr. Jin Wi presented his findings at the Acute Cardiovascular Care in Geneva, Switzerland in 2014 and he noted that when patients are resuscitated after a heart attack, the recovery of brain function was just as important as survival. So in addition to low vitamin D levels being associated with a higher risk of having a heart attack, low levels of this crucial vitamin can also lead to poor brain function after going into cardiac arrest.
Dr. Wi and his research team analyzed the clinical data from 53 subjects who were resuscitated after having a sudden cardiac arrest. These subjects were all unconscious and were hospitalized at the Severance Cardiovascular Hospital in Seoul, Korea. Subject’s neurological states were measured again six months after they left the hospital by using the Cerebral Performance Category (CPC). 65 percent of subjects with deficiencies in vitamin D had poor neurological outcomes 6 months later compared to 23 percent of patients who had normal levels of vitamin D in their blood. In fact, almost 30 percent of the subjects who had low vitamin D levels passed away within the 6 month period and all of the subjects who had normal levels of this vitamin were still alive 6 months after discharge from the hospital.
Continue to Page 3