- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Top 15 Natural Ways to Deal with Depression
11. Move that body
Yes, depression makes you want to just sit and stare out the window or stare at the TV, but if you can get yourself to exercise, even just a bit, you will feel better. You don’t have to run a marathon, but try to take Fido for a walk every day and see if that doesn’t make you feel even the tiniest bit better.
12. Don’t skip meals
Keeping your blood sugar stable will go a long way towards reducing mood swings.
13. Get sunlight
Exposure to sunlight improves moods and increases the body’s vitamin D levels. If you don’t get much sun where you live, or if you live in a location with very little sun in the winter months, invest in a therapeutic light box.
14. Don’t shirk responsibilities
Many people who are depressed tend to pull back from life and give up many of their responsibilities, but don’t let yourself fall into that trap. Staying involved in life and having daily responsibilities can help ground you and give you a sense of accomplishment.
15. Try supplements
There is very promising evidence for certain supplements such as Saint John’s Wort or folic acid, but you should always check with your doctor before doing so, especially if you are taking other types of medications.
Ian A. Cook, MD, Director of the Depression Research and Clinic Program, University of California Los Angeles.
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center: Can Folic Acid Help Ease Depression?
Liebenluft E, American Journal of Psychiatry, December, 2008.
National Sleep Foundation: “Sleep and Depression” and “Sleep Hygiene.”