- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
10 Everyday Foods That Can Kill You
Ah, rhubarb! The perfect accompaniment to a strawberry pie! As long as you don’t eat any of the leaves. The leaves contain oxalic acid, which is, in essence, bleach!
During World War 1, some genius decided to offer rhubarb, including the leaves, to soldiers since the war had made access to other veggies impossible to obtain. Acute cases of severe poisoning, as well as deaths occurred, among humans as well as among goats, donkeys, and pigs who were given leaves to eat.
The toxic mechanism that makes oxalic acid work is a bit different from other organic poisons. It’s more closely related to heavy metal poisoning. Organic poisons often work at a biochemical level, such as inhibiting respiration at a cellular level but oxalic acid binds with calcium in the body, blocking the kidneys and liver from excreting it through the urine.
So, enjoy that tartness that rhubarb stalks offer to balance out the too sweet things in life, such as strawberry pie, but put those leaves in the garbage!
Oct 25, 2014 at 3:52 am
10 everyday foods? Since when is fugu or puffer fish everyday food?