- 6 Things In Your Everyday Life That Are Dirtier Than A Toilet Seat Video
- Face Care: Do’s And Dont’s For Naturally Beautiful Skin
- 4 Tips To Make Sure You Are Getting The Most Value From Olive Oil
- DIY Natural Organic Make Up Ideas And Recipes Infographic
- Everything You Need To Know About Slow Cookers Video
- Radish: 13 Facts To Say ‘Yes’ To This Vegetable! (And Bonus Recipe!)
- 3 Super Nutrients For Healthier Hair (And The Foods Where You Can Get Them!)
10 Of The Most Common Myths About Aging
The fastest growing segment of the population is 65 and older. As baby boomers grow older and birth rates slow, this trend will continue and older adults will comprise a larger and larger segment of our population. Even though this population is larger than ever, myths and misconceptions about them abound. As this population grows, it is even more important to dispel and debunk 10 biggest myths about aging.
1. Aging is depressing
Not only is aging not depressing, older adults are actually the happiest of all age groups! About 40 percent of the people of age 65 and older say they were very happy compared to only 33 percent of individuals between 35 to 49. In fact, for many years research has shown there is a “U-curve of happiness” in which happiness is actually lowest among individuals in their late 40s or early 50s. After that, happiness continues to increase with each year of age.
2. Aging leads to lack of interest in sex and intimacy
Perhaps one of the most common myths is the idea that older individuals no longer have a desire for sex and intimacy. However, individuals are living longer and healthier lives than ever before. For healthy individuals, sexual activity and physical intimacy can persist well into their 80s or 90s. When compared to younger counterparts, older individuals are more likely to be in a committed long-term relationship with a partner who they feel confident and comfortable with. Countless studies have shown intimacy and sex are common and healthy among older adults!
Continue to Page 2