- This Diet Removes Uric Acid From Your Joints Best
- Top 5 Exercises To Burn Belly Fat And Get A Flat Stomach Video
- Nourishing And Moisturizing Tropical Mango Body Butter Souffle Recipe Video
- 5 Easy Vegan Ice Cream Recipes For Summertime Video
- The Beginner’s Guide To Zero Waste Living Video
- Your First Aid Kit – Herbal Essentials Infographic
- Looking Beautiful Without Makeup? Here Is How Video
Some Facts About Sugar Which Are Not So Sweet
Nothing good about sugar
Generally speaking, excessive sugar is bad for you, but some sugars are worse than others. It also depends a lot on how you are getting the sugar into your system. Products such as cakes, sodas, sweets, cookies etc, made from refined sugar and flour, are among the very worst items in the modern diet, which can totally wreck your health.
There have been outcries by health experts and practitioners about the dangers of high sugar intake which is known to increase the risks of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, obesity, and diabetes. Food manufactures add extra sugar to their products to enhance the flavour, and have to disguise the sugar in their foods by using other words for sugar, so that consumers do not know how much sugar they are actually eating.
Not all sugars are the same
There are 2 basic kinds of sugars, namely natural sugar, and what is known as table sugar. Each works differently in the body, and each has a specific role to play.
Facts about natural sugar
- Natural sugar consists mainly of fructose, and the best source for the diet is from fruit and vegetables.
- Fructose is also often added to various drinks like sodas and fruit-flavoured drinks.
- Fructose is metabolized by the liver, and excess is stored by the body as fat.
- The body breaks down carbohydrates into glucose and fructose in the same way, although fructose is not used for energy. Glucose, also known as blood sugar, is used by the body as its main energy source.
- There is concern that excessive intake of fructose dietary fiber, which is stored as fat in the body, may lead to weight gain and other associated problems.
- Some studies have even indicated that fructose is of no actual use to the body, bar the fact that fruit and vegetables which contain fructose are good sources of fiber for colon health.
Continue to Page 2