- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast with These Natural Remedies
Pink eye: if you have ever had it, you know just how annoyingly painful it can be. Not only that, but people shun you like you have the plague, and that’s understandable; pink eye is highly contagious.
The technical term is conjunctivitis. It’s an inflammation of the membrane that covers that white part of your eye along with the inner part of the eyelid. Besides its beautiful pink color, there is also pain, drainage, itchiness, and a crusty covering that occurs when the drainage dries.
Without treatment, pink eye typically lasts about 7 to 10 days, but you don’t have to suffer that long. Keep reading for the best remedies that take care of pink eye in a jiffy. In some cases, you can get rid of it in as little as 24 hours! Remember that pink eye is highly contagious and you can easily infect your other eye or pass it on to others, so always wash your hands well and avoid touching others, as well as your other eye. Also, when making eyewashes, always use filtered or distilled water, not tap water. Tap water sometimes has contaminants that can make the problem worse.
Now, let’s get on to the top remedies so you can heal that pink eye fast!
This is the most common way to drain the pus and soothe the eye. There are many herbs that are super helpful and chances are you have at least one of these right in your kitchen.
- Eyebright – Appropriately named, this herb is used for the treatment of any type of irritation in the eyes. Add one tablespoon of eyebright to one cup of boiling water and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain out the leaves, and after this mixture cools, use an eyedropper to put 3 to 5 drops in your eye. Do this 3 times per day and most people find that their pink eye is gone within 24 hours.
- Chamomile Flowers – Add chamomile to one cup of boiling water and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain and use as above.
- Fennel – This herb was used in ancient Rome to clear up eye problems. Add a few fennel leaves to one cup of boiling water and let steep for a few minutes. Once it cools, strain the leaves and use as an eyewash.
- Boric Acid – Boil one quart of water and add a tablespoon of boric acid. Allow to cool before using it as an eyewash. Use this mixture three times per day.
- Baking Soda – Mix one teaspoon of baking soda in two cups of water. This sounds too easy to be effective, but this is another remedy that generally clears up pink eye in 24 to 48 hours. Use two or three times per day.
- Aloe Vera Juice – Use the clear gel as part of an eyewash, or add some to a cold washcloth and use it as a compress.
2. Colloidal Silver
Before the creation of erythromycin, an antibiotic ointment, colloidal silver was commonly used for pink eye and was often put in a newborn’s eyes to protect them from certain types of bacterial infection. Many people swear that a few drops of colloidal silver twice per day gets rid of pink eye in 24 hours.
Continue to Page 2