- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Super-agers! How Can You Become One?
Differences in lifestyle
While there is the occasional individual who won the genetic lottery and is a super-ager due to good genes, that is not the case for most. In fact, scientists agree that most individuals considered super-agers live a healthy lifestyle. In fact, scientists have spent years studying super-agers. What they found is that most super-agers eat a plant based diet, exercise regularly, have a strong faith or religious belief, get enough sleep, and engage in mentally stimulating activities.
So, what does this all mean?
For one, it means that aging does not necessarily mean memory loss. It is possible to be 80 years or older and still have a brain similar to that of a middle-aged individual. It also means that our lifestyle choices each day can positively impact the way in which our brains age.
What is not clear, is how brain structure, lifestyle factors, genetics, and all the other components interact. It may be that individuals who lead healthier lifestyle begin with a thicker cortex in their brain. However, it may be that these lifestyle differences slow brain shrinkage that normally occurs with aging. Either way, the evidence is clear. We can make choices each day that will allow us to become super-agers.