- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Sweeteners: Healthier Than Sugar?
Another downside possible with artificial sweeteners is that they might desensitize your palate to what sweet actually is. Since most are much sweeter than normal sugar, our taste buds can get used to that amount of sweet and find naturally sweet foods, such as fruits, srenot appetizing anymore because they are not comparable in sweetness. This has not been studied or tested in any large groups to be able to be proven right or wrong and more research is needed to see if this theory is actually correct.
Lastly, there is some concern that artificial sweeteners are addictive. In one study done with rats, they were first exposed to cocaine then given a choice between intravenous cocaine and oral saccharin, and most chose the saccharin. As in other studies done with rats. that seemed to prove artificial sweeteners caused cancer, this doesn’t not necessarily mean that humans can become addicted to sweeteners, but it is a concern.
So what does this all mean for artificial sweeteners and our use of them? Are they safer to use than regular sugar? Are they healthier? The general consensus seems to be that they are safe to use and a healthier option for those that already have health complications. There have not been any long-term studies to test their impact on the human body over a long period of time but most health agencies and doctors agree that any side effects will be minimal and possibly greatly exaggerated by the public. For the time being, artificial sweeteners seem to be a healthy alternative to sugar if you’re need in need of a sweetener that won’t affect your blood sugar or weight.