- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
15 Reasons To Eat More Guacamole This Week
4. Loaded With Healthy Fiber
Most people would take one look at that creamy avocado and think there is no way that it contains much fiber, but they are wrong. Fiber is described as being indigestible plant matter, which is associated with a much lower risk of disease. Soluble fiber feeds the gut bacteria in the intestines, which is vital for proper digestion, as well as a strong immune system. Insoluble fiber is good for clearing the digestive system of harmful toxins and has been linked to a lower risk of colorectal cancer. A typical 3.5 ounce avocado has seven grams of fiber, of which 25 percent is soluble, and the other 75 percent is insoluble. You get both kinds of healthy fiber in one little avocado, so add one to your lunchtime salad every day!
5. Supports Eye Health
Vision problems can affect anyone at any age, but this is becomes more common as we get older. This is why we should eat more foods that support our eyesight. Avocados should be a part of your plan! Rich in carotenoids called lutein and zeaxanthin, avocados contain antioxidants lower your risk of developing macular degeneration and cataracts.
6. Lowers Blood Pressure
Wow! What a great-tasting way to naturally lower your blood pressure. Avocados contain more potassium than bananas, and potassium binds with salt in the body and removes it via urine. Potassium also maintains the electrical gradients in the cells of the body. Numerous studies show that eating foods high in potassium is linked to lower blood pressure levels, which reduces your risk of kidney failure, heart attacks, heart disease, and stroke. Most people do not consume enough potassium-rich foods. Avocados have 14 percent of your recommended daily allowance of potassium. This is quite high when you consider that bananas, which are considered to be a high potassium food, have only 10 percent of your RDA. Just one more reason to add an avocado to your diet each day — or at least every other day!
Continue to Page 3