- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
5 Natural Cough And Sore Throat Potions You Need This Winter
We have yet to get tons of snow, but there have still been plenty of cold temperatures to go around. And if it hasn’t hit your area yet, there is a nasty cold and cough that is already making the rounds.
Studies show that most cough syrups are not that effective and when it comes to kids, a placebo works just as well as commercially made cough syrups.
We have put together some of the best natural potions that help to stop the scratchy throat and nagging cough that is keeping people up at night.
By the way, we call these “potions” and not recipes because these work so well, they are almost like a magic potion!
1. Sage and Honey
- ¾ cup of raw, organic honey
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
Add all ingredients into a pan and stir over medium heat until almost boiling. Turn off the fire, and cover the pot. Allow to steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and store in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid, such as a Mason jar. This will keep in the refrigerator for three months, but we bet you use it before that. Take one teaspoon as needed.
Continue to Page 2
2. Garlic, Onion, and Honey
- ½ cup of raw, organic honey
- ½ cup of water
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 dash of thyme, sage, or oregano
Add everything together in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well and allow to steep overnight at room temperature. In the morning, strain into another clean jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to three months. If you need this syrup tonight and can’t wait until morning, you can put these items in a pot and simmer over medium heat for 10 or 15 minutes or until the onions are soft. Strain, and as soon as it is cool, you can use it. Take one teaspoon as often as you need to get relief.
3. Castor Oil Chest Rub
You might be wondering how castor oil can stop a cough, but this really works!
- ½ cup of cold pressed castor oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger root
- 3 drops of eucalyptus oil
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
In a small glass bowl or measuring cup, add all ingredients and mix well. Pour about half of this mixture over your chest. Breathe deeply! Cover with an old t-shirt or two. This is pretty messy, but you will feel the heat! It will open up your sinuses, and stop the cough that usually occurs because of a backup of mucus.
Continue to Page 3
4. Horseradish Power
- ¼ cup of raw, organic honey
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly grated horseradish
Mix these two items together and allow them to sit for three or four hours. If you can, let this mixture sit overnight. This is a super effective remedy that can help you if you should become hoarse. Try just a half a teaspoon of this at a time. Consuming too much might upset your stomach.
5. Thyme for Ginger Lime
- 1 organic lime, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup of raw, organic honey
- 1 handful of fresh thyme
- 1 inch slice of fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of water
Place the lime in a Mason or other type of glass jar, and pour the honey over it. Set the jar aside. In a small pan, put the water, thyme, and ginger slices. Place over a medium flame and bring to boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer for a few minutes until the water is reduced by half, leaving you with just one cup of water. Turn off the flame and allow to cool. Strain the water into your jar with the lime and honey. Stir it together, and it is ready to go!
Store this in the refrigerator up to four weeks. Take one tablespoon of this mixture as needed. If the mixture separates, simply shake it or mix it together again before consuming.