- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
5 Terrific Reasons To Skip The White Bread Once And For All
4. Can Cause Depression
Although it might make you happy as long as you are eating it, a new study found a link between the consumption of white bread and depression in post-menopausal women. The same response that causes blood sugar levels to crash is also the same one responsible for feelings of fatigue, mood swings, and depression. This study was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in June of 2015.
5. Causes Weight Gain
When we eat refined carbs, such as white bread, any surplus sugar in your blood that you do not use immediately for activity, will be stored right away as fat. Usually, belly fat. Rapid digestion of carbs leads to increased hunger and cravings for more sugar or carbs, which can cause you to reach for even more of the same. This usually means that you will end up eating more than you intended, which will lead to some serious weight gain.
How can you avoid this?
1. When dining out, ask your waiter to skip the bread basket or bread sticks. If you are dying for something to munch on before your food arrives, get an appetizer with fresh vegetables and a light dip or order a side salad.
2. Always buy 100 percent whole wheat or 100 percent whole grain products. Be sure to read the label. Many breads can fool you when they list “whole wheat bread” in big letters on the package. Containing whole wheat is not the same thing as being made from 100 percent whole wheat.
3. Make smart food swaps. Even 100 percent whole wheat or whole grain bread can really blow a hole in your calorie count for the day. Find ways you can still enjoy your food without the bread. Try using leafy wraps for sandwiches, instead of bread. Rather than pizza, make your own zucchini pizza boats! If you love pasta, try using zucchini pasta rather than regular, white bread pasta. There are hundreds of healthy swaps so you can please both your taste buds and your waistline at the same time!