- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
6 Reasons Oranges Wish That They Were Guavas
Guavas are very common in most other countries but aren’t nearly as popular in the US, although it should be. This tropical fruit usually loses out to oranges but the nutrition it has to offer is much greater than oranges. We imagine that if oranges had feelings, they would wish they had been “born” guavas!
Guavas can have slightly yellow, white, or pink flesh, round or pear shaped but the best kind are the pink or reddish flesh inside. Most guavas have tons of seeds, as many as 500 inside each fruit, but they are very tiny and most people simply swallow them.
What edge do guavas have over oranges? For one, Vitamin C. One guava fruit, which are about the size of a ping pong ball, has four times the Vitamin C of an orange! Lemons are jealous as well because guavas have 10 times the Vitamin A that they have. Perhaps we should try drinking guava-ade, rather than lemonade or orange juice!
By the way, guavas are also terrific sources of fiber, with more than 70 times the fiber of an average sized orange. Guavas also have potassium, vitamin E, calcium, vitamin B2, folate, iron, manganese, and phosphorus. Whew! They pack a lot in those little suckers, don’t they?
Vitamin C is absolutely vital to a healthy body. Your skin uses it to create new cells, your immune system uses it as a soap box for improved performance, and it kills free radicals in the body that cause premature aging and disease.
Want to know what else guavas can do for you?
- Improve your vision – Vitamin A means better vision, stronger teeth, better bones, and softer skin
- Lower cholesterol – Vitamin C helps your body to absorb more Vitamin E, which is very effective in reducing your bad (LDL) cholesterol and increasing your good cholesterol levels (HDL)
- Constipation relief – For super easy bowel movements, you need fiber, and guavas are overflowing with it!
- Heart disease – Drinking guava juice or eating them fresh on a regular basis can keep heart disease from calling your body home
- Diverticulitis – It’s the fiber thing again! Fiber can prevent and treat diverticulitis
- Cancer fighter – Guavas are high in anti-oxidant compounds which has been found in studies to reduce the risk of oral cancer, cancer of the pancreas, stomach, larynx, and esophagus
The fruits can be a little hard so be certain that you choose guavas that are super ripe. These are really great snacks whether you eat them fresh or dried.
You might need to consume guavas for a few weeks before you begin to really see the health effects so start eating them today for improved health next month. Many people find that juicing guavas is the best way to go as they are super sweet, tasty, and can be enjoyed almost all year round. Pink guavas have the most antioxidants and are the sweetest, so look for those if you can but actually, all guavas are delicious and good for you!
You can’t go wrong by choosing guavas. Oranges might start giving you the cold shoulder but you can always make friends with them again by adding orange slices to your next salad.