- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Which is the Best Oil to Use for Oil Pulling?
Which is the best oil to use?
Although tradition calls for the use of sunflower oil or sesame seed oil, coconut oil seems to be the logical, and lately, the popular choice.
Coconut oil has natural antibacterial qualities that are very effective at attacking streptococcus mutans bacteria. Coconut oil is also high in lauric acid and contains medium chain triglycerides.
If you aren’t already using coconut oil, this is a good place to start (see all uses of coconut oil). Coconut oil has so many terrific properties that it’s good for almost anything, from cooking to hair conditioning to homemade toothpaste to skin lotion to a coffee creamer replacement.
On top of this, many people report that using coconut oil instead of sesame seed or sunflower oil has been more effective in whitening their teeth and removing plaque.
Although any of these oils will work, coconut oil seems to the favorite one to use, hands down. Coconut oil also tastes better than some of these other oils.
Most studies have involved the traditional sesame seed oil; however, one thing to consider is that this oil has a high concentration of omega-6 fatty acids. You need to have a balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for a healthy body and too many of us already have high levels of omega-6, so you really don’t need to add more of those.
If you are skeptical, try it just for a 10 day or two week period. If you don’t see or feel any difference in your mouth, then you don’t have to continue and you haven’t really lost anything. However, chances are you will be hooked and you, too, will be telling everyone how terrific oil pulling is.