- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Black Super Foods: Black Is the New Green
4. Black Rice
Everyone knows that brown rice is better for you than white, but black rice is better still! The bran hull of black rice has much higher levels of vitamin E, and antioxidants that their lighter colored cousins. Antioxidants bolster your immune system and protect your cells from those nasty free radicals that love to do damage to your body. The Louisiana State University Agricultural Center did a study that showed black rice actually has more antioxidants than blueberries!
SEE ALSO: Health Trends in 2014
5. Black Lentils
These tiny legumes are packed full of iron. Just one cup has 8 milligrams, that’s half of the iron you need every day. They have lost of soluble fiber, which lowers your cholesterol levels as well as improve your immune function, according to a study done at the University of Illinois.
Blackberries are another fiber rich food, with one cup having 8 grams of the 25 grams of daily fiber needed for good health. Blackberries also have polyphenols, which studies show help slow the cognitive decline that often accompanies old age. Polyphenols are the housekeepers of the brain, if you will, as they clean up dead or dying cells that can impair the function of the brain, this according to researchers at the Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging. Blackberries are also antioxidant rich food.