- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Delicious Replacements For Bad Carbs Meals
Complex Carb Replacement Meals
- Spaghetti squash is a fantastic alternative to the traditional variety, and it won’t put you in a pasta coma afterwards. Slice squash lengthwise and place in a baking pan with about an inch of water in it. Bake in the oven for approximately one hour before removing. Scratch the baked squash with a fork and you will produce spaghetti-like stands that can be used in lieu of the real thing. A one-cup serving has 200 fewer calories than regular pasta, and offers some B vitamins and potassium as well. Spaghetti squash is also quite flavorful, and makes an excellent side dish for other meals too!
- Leaf wraps are an alternative to traditional wraps made with white flour tortillas. Instead, try using a leaf of lettuce or kale to wrap around your chicken, veggies and other ingredients. Instead of simple carbs, you’ll get greens filled with antioxidants and nutrients like vitamins A and C. You can also make burritos using leafy greens as well, though you may need a few layers to maintain structural integrity.
- Portobello mushrooms also a versatile tool for culinary engineers who wish to reduce their intake of simple carbs. Instead of using traditional white flour pizza dough, take a large Portobello mushroom, hollow out the inside and bake on an oil-covered dish for about five minutes. You want it to be just a little bit dry and firm, like pizza crust. Remove it from the oven and fill it up with tomato sauce, cheese and whatever other ingredients you like. It’s a personal Portobello mushroom pizza! (Of course, if you’re less adventurous you can opt for whole wheat dough, but try the mushrooms at least once—we think you’ll love it.)
These are just three examples, but the point is that there are actually many ways to get creative and replace simple carbs with healthier complex carbs and other alternatives. You don’t have to follow outdated nutrition orthodoxies anymore. You CAN eat healthier without sacrificing taste.