- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Make Your Own Aging Hippie Healing Salve
Aging Hippie Healing Salve
- 4 Tablespoons (about 2 ounces) of beeswax
- 2 Teaspoons of the essential oils of your choice (for scent) optional
- 1.25 Cups of virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon each of the dried olive leaf, dried calendula flowers, dried St. John’s Wort, dried comfrey roots and leaves, dried goldenseal root, dried plantain, and the pine resin. You can add a little more of some and less of another depending on what you have on hand or what is available in your area. You need about 2/3 of a cup of dried botanicals.
- 1 Tablespoon of raw, organic honey
- ½ Teaspoon of vitamin E oil ( you can break open a capsule or two and squeeze it out)
Essential oils are terrific for adding not only some lovely scent, but for their antiseptic compounds. Some of the best for this purpose would be tea tree, lavender, rosemary, lemon, cinnamon, and/or thyme. You can mix and match or just use your favorite scent or none at all, this is an optional ingredient but you will really feel good about using this salve if it’s as pleasing to your nose as it is to your skin.
- Prepare your oil infusion by placing your dried herbs in a Mason jar and cover them with the oil. Stir and then place the jar in a saucepan on your stove, or in a crockpot that has a few inches of water in it. (Put a washcloth on the bottom of the pot to be sure the glass does not get too hot.) Heat for 4 to 8 hours, or overnight. (Crockpots are great for this!)
- Once the mixture cools, strain out the herbs using a cheesecloth, being sure you squeeze the cloth to get out every drop. You will need at least one cup of oil when you are done.
- Over very low heat, melt the beeswax into the herbal oil mixture. Once it is melted, remove from heat.
- Allow this mixture to cool to about 100 degrees, and then add in your raw honey, essential oils (if you are using them) and the vitamin E oil. Whisk together until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into your chosen containers. If kept sealed and stored in a cool, dark place, this ointment should last for about 2 years!
You probably never imagined that something so soothing and healing could be so easy to make! Double your recipe and make some gifts for your other hippie friends!