- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Make Your Own CBD Hemp Oil and Cannabis Salve for Topical Use
If you haven’t heard the news, hemp oil is a rich source of CBD, or cannabidiol, which has numerous medicinal properties. Although hemp is made from cannabis plants, it’s not the same thing as marijuana. If you are looking to get some of the benefits from hemp, this is a great way to do so. Hemp oil can be used to find relief from arthritis, diabetes, alcoholism, schizophrenia, PTSD, MS, epilepsy, and chronic pain. Hemp oil is an analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, and anti-nausea treatment that works well for many people.
CBD is creating a big stir everywhere in America, as more and more people are looking for answers for their health problems. A great deal of the research that is being done on hemp and cannabis is actually a type of relearning. Cannabis used to be used to treat illnesses until it was made an illegal drug. Most research is focusing on cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) the two most common cannabinoids out of the more than 100 that are present in cannabis.
THC is the part of the cannabis plant that gives you that mellow, high feeling. CBD, on the other hand, is the second most common cannabinoid produced by this plant and it has wide applications. This means that you can make/use a CBD oil or salve and not get that disjointed feeling, nor will you experience feelings of lethargy. It also won’t give you the munchies.
One preclinical trial done at the California Pacific Medical Center showed that CBD killed breast cancer cells by regulating a gene (ID-1) that has been found to be in several types of aggressive cancers. When this gene is cut out of the picture, cancer cells die on their own.
Although some people believe that THC works best in conjunction with CBD, that the entire plant must be used for it to be effective, studies have not yet shown this to be true. There is still so much to learn about this wonderful plant that Mother Nature obviously put here for a reason.
By the way, although medical marijuana is legal in many states and more and more states are legalizing personal use, isolated CBD is legal in all 50 states since you cannot get high from this compound. If you don’t know where to find CBD rich strains of cannabis, you can buy it online. Again, since it’s free from THC, it is perfectly legal.
Are you ready? Here are the recipes for CBD herbal oil as well as cannabis salve.
Continue to Page 2
Make Your Own CBD Herbal Oil
- 1 Cup of a high quality carrier oil such as virgin coconut oil or sweet almond oil
- 14 grams of organic hemp CBD buds and leaves
- Using a coffee grinder, grind the buds, stems, and leaves of the hemp plant.
- Place the hemp in a small glass canning jar and cover it with the oil.
- Place the lid on tightly.
- Put a washrag in a small saucepan and place the jar in the saucepan.
- Put two or three inches of water in the pan.
- Bring the water to just below boiling (about 200 degrees.)
- Allow the water to be heated this way for about 3 hours. If the water level in the pot gets too low, add some water to keep the pot from drying out.
- Shake the jar a couple times each hour. Be careful as the jar will be extremely hot.
- After 3 hours, turn off the flame and cover the pot with a towel.
- Allow the jar to cool for another 3 hours.
- Now let the jar sit in the pot, covered with the towel overnight.
- Repeat this process for the next 3 days, if possible. You can use the oil after one day but the longer you repeat this process, the stronger your oil will be.
- Strain the oil and herbs through a cheesecloth into another glass jar. Be sure you squeeze the cloth to get every last drop out of the hemp.
- Use this oil topically and take note about any changes you feel this oil has made to your body so that others might benefit from your experience.
Continue to Page 3
Those who have used cannabis salve swear that it has worked well to stop the pain of arthritis, lupus, psoriasis, and dermatitis. This salve does have anti-inflammatory, decongestant, analgesic, and regenerative compounds. Salves such as the one below used to be common before prescription type synthetic drugs came on the market.
Actually we are just beginning to understand how cannabis works on our body’s various systems. Try this recipe for cannabis salve and see how well it works in your life.
Make Your Own Cannabis Salve
- ½ Ounce of organic herbal cannabis
- ½ cup of shea butter, coconut oil, or beeswax (a combination of the three works best and is highly recommended)
- Place the oils in a glass or ceramic mixing bowl. If you are using a combination, use a wooden spoon and mix them well.
- Put a large pot on the stove and fill it halfway (or less) with water.
- When the water is hot (but not boiling) put the mixing bowl in the pot. Be certain that no water gets inside the bowl.
- When the oils have liquefied and are well blended, add your cannabis.
- Continue to gently simmer, stirring every few minutes, for about 45 minutes. The longer it simmers the more potent your salve will be.
- Strain the salve through a cheesecloth into another glass container. Squeeze the cloth to get out every drop you can from the cannabis.
- Allow the salve mixture to cool completely before using.
- Once cooled, you can use a spoon or spatula to move your salve to a different container if you like.
- Stored in a cool, dark place, your salve will keep for about 2 months.
Adding some beeswax to your oil will help to make your salve firmer and more stable.
Using only beeswax will leave you with a very hard salve so be sure to add at least one other type of oil to the mix.
You can also add almond oil or grapeseed oil for a smooth, non-greasy type of salve.
If you would like to have a sweet smelling salve, add about a dozen or so drops of the essential oil of your choice. Mix them in with the other oils you have chosen.