- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Read This Before You Eat Another Hot Dog!
Hot dogs are about as American as you can get. It’s certainly one of America’s most popular foods, with the average American eating about 50 hot dogs per year! But did you know that hot dogs are one of the most nutritionally empty foods you can eat?
Almost everyone has their suspicions about what actually goes into hot dogs. We all know more than a few jokes about them, also. Still, we have turned a blind eye because we consider hot dogs something of an institution, right up there with baseball and apple pie.
However, when you take a long, hard look at what is actually in hot dogs, and how little nutrition they offer, you might think twice about eating them.
In 2009, the American Institute for Cancer Research issued a report, based on more than 7,000 scientific studies, that stated every 50 gram serving of processed meat that is consumed ( 50 grams is about 1 hot dog) increases your risk of colon cancer by 21 percent. EVERY hot dog you eat raises your risk by 21 percent. Find out foods that cause cancer as well.
Even knowing this information, American haven’t stopped eating their beloved hot dogs. In 2013 we spent 2.5 billion dollars on hot dogs. That’s more than 1 billion packages of weenies. On the 4th of July, Americans eat about 150 million hot dogs. That’s enough to make a line of weenies from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. more than 5 times!
Besides the increased risk of cancer, did you know that hot dogs are a serious danger to your kids? Hot dogs are responsible for 17 percent of all choking incidences involving children, and they kill 80 kids each year.
Continue to Page 2