- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Sitting Too Long Leads to Multiple Mental Health Issues
The American Journal of Preventative Medicine published a study done in Australia that wanted to determine if lengthy sitting sessions had any effect on depression. Scientists analyzed the habits of about 9,000 women, all between the ages of 50 and 55, over several years’ time.
This study revealed that women who sat for 7 hours a day, or more, were found to have a 47 percent higher risk of depression that those who sat for less than 4 hours per day.
Women who did not participate in any physical exercise program at all had a 99 percent higher risk of developing depression than women who exercised, no matter how slight. These findings are super clear: sitting for long periods, especially when combined with a lack of exercise, can lead to depression. (At least among middle aged women) Find out how to naturally treat depression.
Other scientists have reached similar conclusions about the effects that too much time spent sitting eventually has on your mental health. Researchers in Britain also reviewed data from a national wellness project. They found that free time spent watching TV and using the computer were often associated with reduced feelings of well-being.
Another study, done in Australia, involved the work habits of more than 3,000 government workers. Those workers who spent more than 6 hours per day sitting on their butts were much more likely to score higher in terms of psychological distress than those who sat less than three hours per day, regardless of whom active they might be outside of their jobs.
Continue to Page 3