- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
The 3 Most Surprising Health Benefits Of Blueberries (They Make You Smarter, Too!)
2. Blueberries also lower blood pressure and reduce your risk of heart disease
Studies show a correlation between regularly consuming blueberries and a reduction in blood pressure. By consuming approximately 1.7 ounces of blueberries per day (50 grams), researchers have found that participants experienced a 4-6 percent reduction in blood pressure after 8 weeks. High blood pressure is linked to an increased risk of stroke, so incorporating more berries into your diet can be quite beneficial if you have high blood pressure.
Blueberry consumption has also been linked to lower levels of LDL cholesterol. LDL, or “low-density lipoprotein” is the “bad” form of cholesterol. High levels of LDL cholesterol are a contributing factor to heart attacks. When this cholesterol becomes oxidized due to free radical compounds, it becomes even more dangerous. Luckily, that same 50 gram/day serving of blueberries can reduce the oxidation of cholesterol in our blood vessels by up to 27 percent!
Taken as a whole, this berry represents a formidable and edible weapon in the war on heart disease. A study conducted in 2013 was linked to a 32 percent reduction in the risk of heart attacks in over 90,000 participants.
Continue to Page 3