- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
The Top Benefits of Drinking Barley Water and How to Make It
1 Cup of organic Pearl Barley
5 Cups of purified water
Juice 1 organic lemon (or lime or any flavor you like)
1 Tablespoon of raw, organic honey
Cinnamon stick (optional)
Organic ginger root (optional)
Serving: 4 cups
Put the barley in a sieve and rinse for about one minute with plenty of fresh, running water. Then put the barley, water, (cinnamon or ginger if you are going to use it), into a medium sized sauce pan. Bring this mixture to a boil, and then simmer without a lid on low for about 20 minutes. The grains will be soft and cooked at this time.
Now, pour this mixture through a sieve. Add your fruit juice and honey, stirring well. Allow to cool completely. Barley water is best when drank cool but it should be consumed within 3 days. If you don’t plan to drink it right away, place in a sealed container and put in the fridge.
You don’t have to throw out that cooked barley. Use it in your soups or stews. You can add some to your salads or put a tablespoon or so into your smoothies. You can even give some to your dog, if you like.
You can use this same basic recipe and simply change things around for different flavors. Try using some fresh mint leaves, or maybe some maple syrup instead of honey. No matter how you make it, you will still reap the benefits. Enjoy!