- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Top 10 Foods for the Over 40 Crowd
8. Olive Oil
The Mediterranean diet, which includes plenty of olive oil, has been linked to a longer, healthier life in several studies. Olive oil contains a natural anti-inflammatory compound called oleocanthal, which helps to keep the heart strong and healthy. You still need to practice moderation as olive oil, like all other oils, contain a great deal of fat and calories. However, olive oil is a far, far better alternative to those highly processed GMO oils such as soy, cotton, or corn oil.
SEE ALSO: Eat More Olives to Ward Off Cancer
Almonds are perhaps the best snack for the over 40 crowd. High in calcium, folates, and fiber, they are low on the glycemic index and will keep your feeling full and satisfied. All nuts are super healthy, but almonds are perhaps the best of the bunch. Numerous studies show that eating just one ounce of almonds each day lowers cholesterol levels, as well as the risk of heart disease. All nuts are high in fat and calories, so you need to munch in moderation, but one to one and half ounces per day is all it takes to get all the benefits in one tasty handful.
10. Butternut Squash
Almost all squash are good for your healthy, but this one is brimming with beta-carotene, which is important for eye health. The heart and immune system will benefit from the high level of vitamin C, and the fiber will help fight colon cancer as well as stabilize blood sugar levels.