- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Top Reasons to Go Off Your Diet Today!
Lately, it seems as if being overweight is just the most terrible thing you could be (other than a mass murderer). It’s humiliating when you are overweight and everyone treats you differently, says things they would never say to someone who was at a normal weight, and shames you as if you were walking around naked. It’s depressing to be treated this way and it doesn’t appear that society is going to change anytime soon. Although the public says they are tolerant of persons of all sizes, let’s be honest, do you think that’s true? If you are overweight, you know it’s not.
Unfortunately for some of us, losing weight is extremely difficult. Short of a near starvation diet and endless hours of exercise, losing 5 pounds takes months and putting on 5 pounds takes a couple of days. There are many factors involved in why it is so difficult for some people to lose weight including genetics. Lifestyle, diet, attitude, emotional health, and society itself, especially the family unit, all contribute their part to this problem.
If you are one of those who has a hard time losing weight this article is not here to tell you all the health risks that go along with being overweight, as you already know and have probably heard it from dozens of people. This article is also not going to tell you that you simply need more will power (because that’s a joke) nor is it here to sell you on the latest diet book, fad, or supplement.
This article is here to tell you that you need to stop all that self-loathing, ugly self-talk (you know, the “OMG I’m so disgusting” thoughts you have at night) and self-pitying. You are fine the way you are. You are who you are and what you are. There was a time when women with hips and legs were desirable (think Marilyn Monroe) but this little boy look with no-hips, no-legs, big implants fashion is simply that…fashion. Fashions come and go, friends.
Continue to Page 2
You can learn to stop hating yourself and begin to be happy with yourself without dieting, without starving, without spending countless hours on that Stairmaster. First, let’s take a look at the top reasons you should stop dieting right now!
1. Think about it, if dieting were a solution to a problem then you would only have to diet once in your life. How often does that happen?
2. Dieting makes most people grumpy, tired, and unhappy. Life is too short to feel that way every day! Find out 14 things to get rid of if you want to be happy.
3. Most diets only turn people with no binge eating habits into habitual binge eaters, or worse, binge and purge eaters.
4. Dieting is supposed to be a temporary thing, not something you do every day for the rest of your life, no matter what some health guru might tell you. This means that when you go “off” your diet, you will regain that weight.
5. Diets are boring, and those who are on them tend to be because that’s all they talk about; their diets, their weight loss, the foods they can eat, the foods they can’t, etc, etc, etc. After about 10 minutes it’s major YAWN time.
6. Dieting makes you a drag. Is there anything more annoying than going to a dinner party and watching someone continually say NO to everything? It makes you wonder why they came!
7. Perpetual diets can make you afraid to eat! You begin to worry about very calorie you put in your mouth and this can led to anorexia or compulsive exercise.
8. Diets don’t always improve your health. Yes, you might lose weight, and that’s not a bad thing, but if you are limiting what you are eating to a couple food groups, you can end up malnutrition. Find out if your acidic diet is ruining your health.
9. Going on a diet will not necessarily make you beautiful, nor will it solve all your problems. Look at all those movie stars. How many of them have no problems?
10. Diets tend to make you reject your current life in favor of a life that might never happen. Think about all those “When I’m thin, I will___” Fill in the blank. What if you never get thin enough to do those things? Do them NOW and enjoy your life, THIS life!
11. Diets take your mind off the things in life that matter and turn your thoughts solely to food.
12. Perhaps most important of all, diets don’t allow you to love and accept yourself the way you are. You are beautiful and perfect exactly as you are, even if you don’t look like a magazine model. Who does? (Other than a handful of models, of course!)
Continue to Page 3
This doesn’t mean that you don’t want to be healthy, of course, but there are plenty of ways to do that rather than dieting. Make a few lifestyle changes to ensure you are doing all you can for your health such as stop smoking, limit alcohol consumption, and get adequate rest.
Incorporate a few good eating habits week by week:
- Week 1: Add one fruit to your breakfast every morning
- Week 2: Add a salad or a vegetable to your lunch every day
- Week 3: Cut your soda consumption to 1 per day and drink water or tea instead
- Week4: Take a walk each afternoon after lunch or after dinner every day
That’s it! You can adjust these things as you see fit and make them work around your schedule, but think about changes you can stick with forever and that won’t interrupt your beautiful life. Throw out that scale and don’t look at the clothing sizes. Wear what feels good and makes you look good. Love yourself one small step at a time.
SEE ALSO: 8 Worst Mistakes of the Modern Day Diet
You are beautiful exactly as you are. It’s true.