- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
5 Great Gluten Free Recipes Using Plantains Instead of Flour
3. Baked Plantain Fries
OK, so they aren’t actually fried, but they taste just like French fries! This recipe uses duck fat for flavor, but if you can’t find that, try some bacon fat or even olive oil will work, the duck fat simply adds a unique flavor to them.
- 2 Greenish-yellow plantains
- 2 Tablespoons of duck fat (or other types of fat mentioned above)
- 1.5 Teaspoons of garlic salt
- Cayenne pepper to taste (Optional) Read about cayenne pepper benefits
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel your plantains by cutting off the tips, then slicing down each ridge on the skin with a sharp knife. Now slide your fingers under each ridge and the skin will come off easily.
- Cut each plantain in half, and then quarter each half. Cut into frying shapes, just slightly thicker than a shoestring French fry. If you make them too thick, they tend to dry out.
- Toss the plantains with the fat in a large mixing bowl and add your seasonings, mix well.
- Layer your “fries” on the parchment paper in a single layer.
- Bake between 15 and 20 minutes, turning after about 8 minutes.
- Serve while still hot!