- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
A Secret Spice That Can Add Years to Your Life
Want to try a new way to spice up your cooking that will make huge improvements to your health as well? Then now is the time to try Turmeric. You most likely know it by another name, such as Indian Saffron. It’s the main ingredient in curry but for the best improvement in your health, and the kick you want in your recipe, you need to buy pure Turmeric.
Turmeric is native to Indonesia and India, where it’s been used for more than 5,000 years. It is thought that Arab traders brought it to Europe in the 13 century but it’s still not common in Western cultures. Only because of recent studies have its therapeutic properties come to light.
There have been over 5600 studies showing that turmeric is just as effective as some traditional medicines for common problems such as:
A study done in 2008 found that a standardized preparation of curcumoinoids from turmeric did as well as this popular drug.
A 1999 study found that turmeric compared favorably to steroids.
A 2011 study found that the active ingredient in turmeric, called curcumin, equaled the antidepressant Prozac in reducing depression in animals.
4) Effective treatment for IBD
Turmeric may deliver an inexpensive, well tolerated treatment for inflammatory bowel disease, such as Crohn’s.
5) Respite for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Clinical studies has shown that turmeric has very strong antioxidant effects. The combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects mean that those with joint disease will find relief when this spice is used on a regular basis.
6) Cancer Prevention
The antioxidant action of curcumin protects the cells in the colon from free radicals that damage on a cellular level. Curcumin helps the body destroy mutated cells so they do not spread throughout the body. Read also about hereditary cancer risks.
7) Enhanced Liver Function
Turmeric is thought to improve the function of the liver, allowing it to detoxify the blood. Find out how to detox your body naturally.
There are a great many more benefits to consuming turmeric, almost too many to list! Be certain that you buy pure turmeric. Although curry powder does contain some turmeric, in general, most brands of only contain about 3 percent turmeric. If you can buy it fresh, it looks like small roots with a tough, brown outer skin with a very deep orange flesh inside.
It has a mild fragrance that will remind you of ginger and orange. If you are unable to find it in your local market, try some of the smaller Indian stores, many of which have a wide selection of dried herbs. Look for organic turmeric, this will ensure that the herb has not been irradiated. Turmeric powder should be kept in a tightly sealed container and kept dry. Fresh turmeric keeps well in the vegetable bin of your refrigerator.
Continue to Page 2
Now it’s time to spice up your cooking! Here are a few tips to help you find ways to add turmeric to your meals.
- Add turmeric powder to your egg salad to give it some sass and make it a bright, bold yellow color
- Mix brown rice with raisins, cashews, cumin, coriander and turmeric
- Mix plain yogurt, some omega 3 rich mayonnaise and turmeric powder to make a healthy dip for fresh vegetables.
- Add a little turmeric powder to your favorite salad dressing.
- Cut cauliflower into florets, and then cut those in half again. Sauté with olive oil and a generous spoonful of turmeric for about 5 minutes. Toss with a little salt and enjoy!
- Add some turmeric powder to your beans, lentils, and soups.
Once you become accustomed to using turmeric powder into your meals you will find yourself experimenting with all sorts of dishes. You will be really pleased knowing that you are making tasteful food for your family as well as adding all the healthy benefits turmeric offers.