- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Awesome Healing Properties Of The Humble Pumpkin Seed
Pumpkins, probably along with the love for their seeds, are native to the Americas, and a variety of species are found across North, South, and Central America. Today, China produces more pumpkins and seeds than any other country, while in the United States, the state of Illinois is the largest producer.
Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are flat, small, and mostly dark green in color. They have a chewy texture, and a slightly sweet, nutty flavour, and can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Remarkable healing properties of pumpkin seeds
Research has shown that pumpkin seeds, long-known for its nutrient content, also pack a powerful punch of healing and health benefits. Here is a list of 8 of the major health benefits and nutrients in pumpkin seeds.
- The pumpkin seed is one of the best natural sources of magnesium, which is necessary for more than 600 chemical reactions in the body. A good supply of magnesium is needed to control blood pressure, lower the risk of heart disease, and promote the development of healthy bones.
- Another benefit of magnesium found in pumpkin seeds is its ability to lower blood sugar levels, which is of enormous benefit for people with type-2 diabetes struggling with their levels.
- Pumpkin seeds are extremely high in fiber which can provide good digestive health. Fiber may also help to control obesity by keeping the colon clean of toxic build-up from undigested foods.
- Pumpkin seeds are also rich in zinc which is associated with good sperm quality. Low levels may lead to an increased risk of infertility. Zinc also helps to repair damage from chemotherapy and autoimmune diseases.
- Lignans is a very important compound present in pumpkin seeds and has the ability to block estrogen, especially when there is estrogen dominance. Research has shown that lignans help to protect against hormone-related cancers which are estrogen-sensitive. These include breast, uterus, ovarian, and prostate cancers.
- Another natural plant compound found in pumpkin seeds is known as phytosterols. This is structurally the same as the cholesterol found in the body, and successfully competes with unhealthy cholesterol for absorption in the digestive system. The natural phytosterols help to keep bad cholesterol low and actually increase good cholesterol (HDL). This is a benefit to heart and overall cardiovascular system health.
- There are also studies which suggest that pumpkin seeds can help treat symptoms of an overactive bladder. This is mainly thanks to the high levels of magnesium which may reduce the spontaneous muscle contractions that lead to a sudden need to urinate that can also result in a certain degree of incontinence.
- Pumpkin seeds are the only seeds which are alkaline-forming, and as the Western diet is so very acidic, consuming the seeds can help keep the body’s pH levels stable and correct.
These are just some of the main medical benefits of the humble pumpkin seed which appear to be a tremendous benefit to good health in general.
Continue to Page 2