- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Big Pharm Loses Out To One Little Berry
More and more, many informed people are seeking natural and safer alternatives to mass-produced OTC flu medications. Research is helping them rediscover the healing power of Elderberry. Recent research shows that an extract made from black elderberry may actually improve the body’s immune system’s ability to fight off the flu virus. Some studies even suggest it can reduce the severity and duration of flu. These studies are adding to the body of evidence that suggests that those who take elderberry at the first sign of flu will recover much faster than those who don’t. Elderberries have also been shown to be safe when taken properly, and does not have the unpleasant side effects associated with OTC flu medication.
The results of a study conducted by scientists in Norway, and reported in the well-respected scientific publication, The Journal of International Medical Research in 2004, produced evidence to support that elderberry extract reduced the severity of symptoms, as well as the duration of flu types A and B by up to four days. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted on 60 participants. The 29 female and 31 male subjects, between the ages of 18 and 54 were all verified to have influenza. On average, patients treated with elderberry extract syrup recovered in 3.1 days compared to 7.1 days for patients treated with placebo. Symptoms of the subjects, who were treated with elderberry, were also reported as being less severe. No significant side effects were shown.
Continue to Page 3