- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
How To Avoid Getting Fat During The Holidays
The holidays are a time for feasting, and for many people, Santa ends up bringing a few extra pounds as well as gifts. You may think this is all due to one big holiday meal. While this is certainly a contributing factor, the truth this that the hectic holiday season as a whole lends itself to unhealthy eating. In this article, we’ll list some easy and very practical steps to making sure that you don’t accumulate any unwanted weight this holiday season.
Reduce stress as much as you can
This might not be your first guess for how to prevent putting on weight during the holidays, but it really can make a difference. With the pressure of travel arrangements, shopping, and planning a big meal, the holiday season can very easily turn from a time for celebration into a time full of stress and aggravation.
Stress is not merely unpleasant; it can actually help make you fat. Consistently high levels of stress and anxiety will elevate your levels of the “stress hormone” cortisol. High levels of cortisol have been linked to an increased risk of weight gain and obesity, as well as higher blood pressure and other health problems. To make matters worse, stress can also encourage snacking. Many people resort to eating “comfort food” when they are stressed out or upset, and this simply increases the likelihood of putting on weight even more.
For these reasons, do whatever you can to reduce stress in general, but especially this time of year. Take some time for yourself and go for a walk, mediate, practice yoga, or go to the gym.
Continue to Page 2