- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Make Your Own Gummy Chews that Beat the Flu
It seems as if the flu gets stronger and lasts longer every year, doesn’t it? Well, it doesn’t matter if it’s even a mild flu season, getting the flu really sucks. If you or your kids have come down with this year’s version (which comes with a complete loss of your voice!) then you are surely looking for ways to lessen its severity as well as its duration.
We have the answer for you! Elderberries are well known for helping to prevent the flu, as well as helping you kick it faster if you should come down with it. We have a recipe for you so that you can make your own elderberry flavored gummy chews that you can munch on anytime to keep the flu at bay or help you get over it quickly. One of the best things about these is that kids love them! You won’t be fussing with your kids trying to get them to swallow some awful tasting liquid. They will start asking you for these little jewels!
First, you need to make some elderberry syrup. If you have missed this recipe before, we are going to put it right here so you can get started.
- 3 1/2 Cups of pure water
- 1 Cup of raw, organic honey
- 2/3 Cup of black elderberries
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly grated, organic ginger root
- 1 Teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon of cloves
- In a medium saucepan, add the water, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about one hour, or until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Strain into a glass jar and add your honey.
- Mix well. Store in the refrigerator.
Continue to Page 2
Once you have made the elderberry syrup, you are ready to make your gummy chews! These are great for really kicking the flu because these have all the immune boosting power of elderberries, combined with the gut benefits you get from gelatin.
Gummy Chews that Beat the Flu
- Glass container or silicon molds in any shape (great for your kids)
- 1 Cup of elderberry syrup
- ½ Cup of very hot water (but not boiling)
- ¼ Cup of gelatin powder (sold in almost every supermarket )
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil (for the molds or the pan)
- Use the coconut oil to grease the molds or the glass pan to prevent sticking.
- In a glass measuring cup, add ¼ cup of the elderberry syrup and the gelatin powder.
- Whisk together well.
- Add the hot water and stir quickly.
- Add the remainder of the elderberry syrup and stir until completely smooth.
- Pour into your pan or molds and put in the refrigerator until completely cool and the chews are firm (about 2 hours.)
- Remove from the molds or, if you are using a glass pan, cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- These will keep for about one week.
These are super easy, especially if you already have the elderberry syrup made. Enjoy!