- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
Why You Should Never Ever Eat Store Bought Bread
You just read this headline and already you are thinking “What? Forget about bread? I don’t care what this article says; I’m not giving up my favorite bread.” These feelings are understandable; after all, as long as you aren’t gluten intolerant, what is wrong with bread? It’s easy, it’s flexible, it tastes good, and it’s very convenient. It’s just some flour, water, yeast, maybe an egg, right? What’s wrong with that?
If only it were that simple! Keep reading. After you read this, if you decide that you still want your store bought bread, no one will stop you, but chances are good that after this article you will change your mind about your “favorite” bread.
Store bought bread is a highly processed product that is loaded with toxic ingredients that no one should be putting in their body. Seriously. In fact, one of the main problems with bread is that manufacturers want to make as much bread as possible in the shortest amount of time. This is what makes their bread more profitable. In order to do this, they cut the time involved by using things like dough conditioners (such as Azodicarbonamide, that famous ingredient which is also used to make yoga mats) which are linked to various health problems.
On top of this, store bought bread is simply loaded with preservatives to prevent it from spoiling. It’s also full of artificial flavors, artificial colors, unneeded sugar, and GMO products such as soy oil. These kinds of additives take what should be a healthy and nutritious food and turn it into a chemical laden, toxic, and potentially dangerous thing.
One of the main problems with bread in America is that we eat far too much of it. Think about it: bagels or toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, rolls or pasta for dinner. That’s a whole lot of flour in one day. We haven’t even addressed snack foods such as cookies, donuts, crackers, and cake.
SEE ALSO: 10 Everyday Foods That Can Kill You
Okay, so everyone says that bread is fattening. This is because the flour they use in store bought bread is super refined white flour (read more about why Americans are so fat). Many flours have been treated with as many as 60 different chemicals (all approved by the FDA) before it hits your supermarket. Your body metabolizes this the exact same way it does sugar, which means that it raises your blood sugar levels, causing your insulin to spike in a big way. This is why we feel hungry soon after eating these kinds of breads: our body thinks we just ate something similar to a big jar of jelly beans!
Continue to Page 2
Think you got it covered because you only buy whole wheat bread? This is just a marketing trick designed to fool you. Whole wheat breads from the stores are no different, really. Oh, they might add a bit of extra bran, but that’s about it. At the end of the day, they are using the same basic recipe and the same toxic chemicals. The addition of whole grains does not necessarily make it healthy. You could add a cup of whole grains to a bag of sugar and no one would call that healthy, would they?
Regular, homemade bread, for example, only has about 5 or 6 ingredients: wheat flour, yeast, a little sugar to feed the yeast, salt, water, and a bit of oil or butter, sometimes an egg or a dash of milk, but that’s about it. Take a look at the ingredient list on that bag of bread from your store. How many ingredients do you see there? How many of them can you pronounce? How many ingredients are you not even sure about what they are? No one should eat things with names you can’t pronounce and have no idea what they are.
Take a look at just some of the unhealthy ingredients in your store bought bread:
- Preservatives – Bread is not really meant to be left for weeks on the shelf or in your kitchen, but that’s exactly what you can do with store bought bread due to the massive amount of chemical preservatives they put in it. In fact, preservatives such as calcium propionate are linked to ADHD in kids.
- Dough Conditioners – Conditioners should be used on your hair, not in your bread! They are completely unnecessary and are only used because they make things faster and cheaper for the manufacturer to pump out more loaves bread.
- Unnecessary Sugar – OK, in order for the yeast to do its job it needs a bit of sugar, and there is certainly no harm in adding a bit of raw honey to have the bread turn out a bit on the sweet side, but most manufacturers use GMO sugar from sugar beets, or high fructose corn syrup.
- GMOs – Almost every store bought bread on the market uses some type of GMO product, such as soybean oil, corn starch, soy flour, corn oil, or soy lecithin. GMOs have not been tested on humans and some GMOs are made by inserting a pesticide into the seed itself so that if an insect should bite the plant, the stomach of the bug explodes. Not exactly the kind of thing you want to eating now, is it? Find out how to avoid GMO foods at a grocery store.
- Artificial colors and flavors – All artificial colors and flavors start off their life as petroleum products. Yes, petroleum, as in oil for your car. This is some ugly stuff. In fact, colors such as “caramel coloring” have nothing to do with caramels. This color is made by heating ammonia, which is a known carcinogen. Why they need to add this is a mystery because bread comes out a naturally beautiful tan color all on its own, and certainly doesn’t need anything artificial added.
You don’t have to give up those turkey sandwiches for lunch, however! Make your own bread at home! Not only does it taste so much better than store bought bread, but you will know exactly what is in it. Making bread isn’t as hard as it sounds. Using a bread machine will certainly make this task much quicker and easier. Just put your ingredients inside and let the machine do the rest. Put your bread machine on a timer and imagine waking up on weekends to the smell of freshly baked, warm bread for breakfast!
If you don’t want to buy another kitchen appliance, there are tons of no-knead dough recipes on the internet that you can make by hand and still come out tasting great.
(By the way, if you’re enjoying this article, you may want to subscribe to the Naturalon’s free newsletter; get breaking news alerts on GMOs, fluoride, superfoods, natural cures and more… Your privacy is protected. Unsubscribe at any time.)
Nov 22, 2014 at 4:02 pm
I buy “Dave’s Killer Bread” which is made with organic whole grain and non-GMO products. Google it and see if it is sold in one of your local grocery stores.
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:03 am
the article talks a good line, but I think it’s all just B.S….
yes, homemade bread is & will always be, healthier, but for there to be this many toxins in the grocery store breads?
Reminds me of chicken little running about the farmyard screaming, “THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!”.
For the record, I have no beef with this website nor its owner(s);
but I believe this is one article that needs to be deep 6.
The writer gives no real evidence of the claims they make, he/she just gives us their word that it be true…
I will never trust the word of anyone that I do not know personally. Trust is something that must be earned….it is never given lightly.
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:34 am
James, Do your investigation on line just for your own benefit, it will be the smartest most serious thing you will ever do, your life depends on it, , Don’t ever say you weren’t warned
Jan 11, 2015 at 4:16 pm
Funny thing the ingredients you buy at the store to make homemade bread (the flour, for instance) is the same factory made flour the store bought bread was made with… Same for the yeast….
So unless you’re growing your own wheat, fertilized with your own poop, you’re getting those “corporation” made food.
What a joke.
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:30 am
The article wasn’t done well, they didn’t name the preservatives, or the conditioner and didn’t say what the other ingredient was in the caramel coloring….I for one believe this article, I wish I didn’t but it’s all true, America’s food supply is VERY TOXIC…Isn’t it strange that the FDA is Run by a drug company? We the people have been sold out…This Country is only interested in money and sales, We are all slowly dying….that’s why we’re not paying attention…….Good Luck people…
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:13 am
In Europe, they use the whole wheat, non GMO. It has the wheat oil, and even people from the USA that are”Gluten Intolerant” in most cases have no ill effects from eating the wheat products there. No processing, period. Thanks to the FDA here in the good old USA, WE get adulterated wheat and GMO crops, not to mention all the secret and unlisted chemicals, pesticides they douse us with in most produce. Celiac my ass.
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:17 am
I forgot to include this link, for further explanation, of what true whole wheat is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole-wheat_flour
Nov 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
I cannot agree more. I stopped buying bread three years ago and everyday cook fresh bread at home in 15 minutes. As the result I am much healthier and saved lots of money that I used to buy breads.