- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
5 Fantastic Fermented Salad Dressings Full of Healthy Probiotics
Anyone who is interested in getting healthy or losing some weight knows that turning to salads is a great way to do both. However, the main problem with salads is the dressings most people use. Those commercially made dressings certainly taste good, but they are loaded with tons of things you don’t want, such as hydrogenated oils, GMO oils, artificial colors, artificial flavors, excess salt, and sugars. Although some people enjoy salads with nothing more than fresh lemon or lime juice, which is a great option, most of us have a hard time enjoying a salad without a yummy dressing.
Fermented salad dressings are a wonderful way to enjoy your salad while adding important enzymes and probiotics. While the ingredients in commercially made salad dressings can cause digestive upset and inflammation, naturally fermented dressings fight inflammation in the body and give your digestive system a healthy boost of the good bacteria that are often killed by the toxins we encounter every day. Read more about potential uses of probiotics.
We have 5 great recipes for you, which means that you can have a different dressing every day of the week if you like. You can also vary the flavor by trading some of the suggested fruits and vegetables listed to make a dressing that suits your tastes.
A common salad dressing many people make at home is simply a mixture of apple cider vinegar and some olive oil. This is a very basic recipe and there is nothing wrong with it, though it does tend to get old after a few weeks. So if you are craving a little variety for your salad, keep reading for 5 fantastic recipes that are sure to wake up your taste buds and make your tummy happy at the same time.
1. Really Good Ranch Dressing
If you love the typical Ranch or blue cheese dressings then you will love this one. It has all of the flavor but none of the junk those commercially made dressings contain. This recipe uses yogurt but if you like a thinner consistency, you can use kefir. If you really want a little sour punch of flavor, such as what you get with blue cheese, use sour cream. You can even mix them using perhaps 1 cup of sour cream and half a cup of kefir. This dressing is so rich and creamy, you will not believe it’s healthy for you.
- 1.5 Cups of plain yogurt (use yogurt with active cultures)
- 2 Medium organic garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon of dried onion powder
- ½ Teaspoon of salt
- ¼ Teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 3 Teaspoons of fresh, organic lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a pint sized glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Shake vigorously to combine or place in a blender and pulse on low until well blended.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Store this in the refrigerator.