- Make It Yourself Lavender Heart-Shaped Bath Bombs!
- 20 Things You Never Knew About “Down There”
- 12 Best Foods For Those Suffering From Arthritis Pain
- 12 Personal Hygiene Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes (Mom Never Told You About #4!)
- 15 Medicinal Plants And Herbs From The Cherokee People
- 12 Mind-Blowing Benefits Of Drinking Coconut Water During Pregnancy
- 12 Outstanding Winter Foods That Won’t Fatten You Up Like A Christmas Turkey
The Unexpected Health Benefits Of Kale!
2. Kale also has quite a lot of calcium
In fact, this amazing vegetable actually offers more calcium per calorie than milk! It’s common knowledge that calcium plays a critical role in building strong bones, growth during childhood, and preventing degenerative conditions like osteoporosis. Kale’s calcium content alone is enough reason to eat more of it.
3. Kale is rich in antioxidants
Oxidative stress on the cells is what causes the aging process, and can contribute to certain forms of disease. It is the ultimate irony that taking in oxygen—the very process that keeps you alive—is ultimately what kills you. Special compounds called antioxidants can counteract the effects of oxidative stress on the cellular level, ward off disease and improve your overall health. Antioxidants are found in many types of fruits and vegetables, and kale is no exception. In fact, it is one of the most antioxidant-rich foods you can eat! The flavonoids and carotenoids found in kale can defend against many types of disease, and even lower your risk for developing cancer.
4. Kale fights inflammation
Inflammation is a natural and necessary response to disease and injuries. However, the modern diet, which is excessively heavy in inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids, can trigger this physiological response when it isn’t required. Chronic inflammation is associated with increased risk for all kinds of diseases, including cancer. Kale is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have powerful anti-inflammatory properties and counteract these effects.
READ ALSO: Choosing The Healthiest Greens For Your Salad Infographic
There are many other benefits to kale, but these four alone secure its spot in the superfood hall of fame for all time. Pick some up today and take your health to the next level!